Monday, December 20, 2010

Tuscobia Winter Ultramarathon

First of all - I did NOT do this race :)

Even if I had not run Hellgate last weekend I suspect this would not have been in my plan... but I am intrigued by it and perhaps next year I'll try the 50K as a Hellgate recovery run!

The reason for my posting on the Tuscobia Winter Ultramarathon is that I want to congratulate the winner of the 150 mile foot race (and indeed all of the participants in all divisions in the three races). Yes, you read that correctly. ONE HUNDRED AND FIFTY MILES on FOOT, on a SNOW mobile trail, PULLING a SLED!

I am tried just writing about it...

Chris Scotch, who's name comes up a few times in my Hellgate report below, ran his first ultra in July of this year. I guess you could say he was hooked. Read about his passion for running but also for supporting a wonderful cause on his website "Where's Chris Scotch". While there, perhaps think about donating a certain number of cents per mile :)

On Friday morning, he along with 3 other intrepid adventurers set out on foot from Park Falls in Northern Wisconsin, heading west for 75 miles on the Tuscobia State Trail to Rice Lake, and back again. The temperatures were in the single digits for most of the daylight hours, falling below zero F at night. There were two aid stations (in motel rooms) along the way, in Winter (appropriately named) and Birchwood.

Chris won the race in approximately 60:25, crossing the finish line just before 7:30pm last night.

His body is currently deciding if it ever wants to speak to him again.

4 comments:

SteveQ said...

WOW! I'm going straight to his blog to congratulate him!

Casseday said...

WOW!! Please give Chris my hearty congrats. . . very impressive!

Kel said...

Awesome accomplishment!

And thanks for all of the race updates throughout :)

Unknown said...

I should have mentioned that unfortunately I wasn't there to repay the Hellgate crewing as I left for a work trip to Ireland (which happens to conincide with the holidays). But his Mom was there Saturday/Sunday and the AS workers were awesome!

I did manage to keep up to date on progress with lots of calls and facebook posts - so much so that AT&T suspended my data for excessive roaming use! Can't wait to see this bill...


What I cannot get my head around about this race is the hours and hours and hours being out there alone...

Post a Comment