Sunday, December 27, 2009

Adding to the Portfolio...

AS 5 Jennings Creek - about an hour after hitting the dirt. I thought at the time I heard a little crunch - turns out I broke cartilage in my nose. But no real injuries from the race... I mean, who needs their nose to run?

AS 7 Bearhollow Gap - I don't know why I look this happy - I'm sure I wasn't at all!

But I was definitely happy here!!!

Hard to believe this race was just 2 weeks ago. In the time since then I've ran about 10 miles... gained at least as many pounds... drank 10 times as many glasses of wine... and eaten about 100 times as many chocolates. Recovery + Christmas = 1/Fitness.

My sister and I did get a little active on Christmas Day - it's not exactly Lake Minnetonka on New Year's Day - but Ireland's had record lows all week so it was a little more intimidating than last year...

Lough Arrow, Co. Sligo. Post dip - warming up with a hot whiskey...

Now, back to 2010 planning... as I sit here with the feet up, glass of red wine within reach, box of chocolates just out of reach (but not for long) - I am having fun checking out the long long list of potential races for 2010 and trying to come up with a reasonable plan. It's not easy!

8 comments:

SteveQ said...

Impressive war paint! I usually have the whisky before I break my nose, not after.

Londell said...

Ouch... Looks worse than I bet it is... Maybe you have a new saying, planning my races is like a box of chocolates?

Sophie Speidel said...

Helen,

I think you should get the "Best Blood" award at Hellgate and all of Horton's races for the next 10 years!Great photos of a tough dirt chick!

I am really glad that there's another ultra runner out there who has also spent the last two weeks drinking too much red wine and eating too many chocolates/chocolate-almond-pistachio bark/chocolate ice cream! One reason I love Hellgate is where it lands on the calendar...recovering over Christmas is perfect!

I hope our paths will cross on 2010...Happy New Year!

Olga said...

Jeez, it looks bad...really bloody...I don't like my face bloody:) Tough chica!

sea legs girl said...

Wow, Helen. That is an impressive wound and a really charming picture! Seriously! But, man, I had a similar scar on my face a couple years ago and it took ages to heal, but thanks to the good blood flow in the face, I didn't end up with anything permanent. I'll hope the same for you! Or perhaps you want a Hellgate tattoo?

I'm looking forward to seeing your 2010 race schedule.

Beth said...

Those pictures are priceless! Enjoy planning for 2010. I think picking out the races is the best part of this whole crazy thing. Enjoy some well deserved rest and relaxation.

Chris Swenke said...

Little dirt, little sweat and little blood but still beautiful.

I also think the yearly race planning thing is exiting time of year. At least for me I hope my non-running mind didn't right to big a check for my running mind.

I'm looking forward to my New Years plunge this year. Can't wait!

Happy New Years!

SteveQ said...

Thought you might like this: drunk yoga!
http://shannigans-aviewfromthebackofthepack.blogspot.com/2009/12/smile-its-hump-day_30.html

Post a Comment