Friday, August 7, 2009

Quote of the Day (Year?)

Last night I finally started to read up on Angeles Crest - my 100 mile race in September. They do a nice job of putting together a racebook each year and this quote caught my attention...

On Persistence and Determination

"Press On - Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education alone will not; The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone has unlimited potential."


- President Calvin Coolidge

I am not sure about use of the word derelicts but overall I like the quote! And perhaps taken in conjunction with Steve's post earlier this week it might provide a little more insight into the ultra-running mind...


6 comments:

Julie B said...

Yes, Helen! I will adopt you, I will cook for you and teach you to cook. You can teach me to run as you run! Perfect :)

SteveQ said...

"Educated derelict" may be my new nickname.

SteveQ said...

After posting the bit you linked to, I realized I should've been more constructive. Maybe I'll revisit the subject.

johnmaas said...

Helen,
First of all..Congrats on the fantastic race at Voyageur. You really crushed that one.
You're having a great year!
Good luck at Lean Horse and then at Angeles.
I think you've got an abundance of persistence and determination already. Please send some my way...
John

SteveQ said...

Decided to move the comments to a more fitting place than Denmark. A bad memory and photoshop work wonders for my ego - I meant I looked a little like Anton once upon a time, allowing you to say you resemble Carrie Tollefson or Eve Rembleski...

Helen said...

er... thanks but I am fine just looking like Helen Lavin!

Post a Comment